Saturday, March 23, 2013

Springtime?

I was actually in a discussion yesterday with a group of girls from church about the weather here.  We’ve had a girl move here from Dallas, Texas.  She asked about what the summer was like.   All the local, born and bred girls started telling her what a wonderful summer we always have …

I had to cut them off.  I said, “Coming from Dallas,  you’re going to think we never get out of spring.  We might have a week or two when we’re consistently in the 90s, and we MIGHT hit 100 on one or two of those days.  But you will think it’s consistently too cold.”

At the blank stares from everyone, I continued.

“I’ve tried to take my kids swimming here, in June, in July, and even in August … and when it’s 89 degrees outside, my poor little girls are only in the water 15 min before they turn blue.  Chattering teeth, freezing fingers … and we rarely last more than 30 min before heading home.  Maybe if you grow up here, you’re heartier, but coming from Texas … it will never get hot here, to you.”

I don’t think I’m exaggerating that much.  I know a number of people who have switched to putting their kids in swimming lessons in the winter, when there’s a dome over the pool, so they don’t freeze to death.

The new girl smiled at me, but I think I rubbed a few of the locals the wrong way …

BUT … back to the point:

We have gone outside to play lately … now that we’re consistently above freezing.

IMG_5756

J is still on the girl’s old, pink bike.  He doesn’t know pink is for girls … in fact he picks the pink cup to drink from most of the time, because he knows it’s the one the girls want.

IMG_5758

S used her birthday/christmas money that’s been piling up and bought herself this princess scooter.  She’s so thrilled!

IMG_5763

She was scooting around everywhere.

IMG_5759

L has the scooter she bought last summer.

I still think it’s high time I get her a bike, but it’s hard for me to really feel the need when it’s still freezing outside.

IMG_5773

This is J pointing at C’s car and informing me, “Dada Car!!!” because I dared to look at it.  Back off, Mama, that’s Dada’s car!

IMG_5772

Speaking of Dada’s car … there it is. 

One last thing:

I tried to get J to sing “Popcorn Popping” with me the other day.  He joined me for, “I looked out the window and what did I see?”  Then he leaped to his feet, dashed to the front window, and cried, “Dada’s Car!”

1 comment:

T-I-F-F-A-N-Y said...

So cute spring and the quilt looks amazing :-)